From February 2, 2020 to February 2, 2021, we will be celebrating and giving thanks on the occasion of our 125th anniversary.
Each day of this coming year we will tell our story. Daily, we will feature a short description of one of our sisters near or on the day of her death if deceased, or if living on her birthday. When not featuring a Sister, we will share glimpses of our history or features of our lives that are important to us.
You can also follow us daily on Facebook (Benedictine Sisters of the Sacred Heart) or on
Day 304: December 1, 2020
Sedlacek, Sister Mary Beatrice b. 11/2/1887 d. 12/1/1964
Sister Mary Beatrice was one of the early pioneers about whom an early history had not been written. Later, Sister Martina, who had worked with her in the orphanage was asked to compile memories of her. Sister Martina wrote that most of Sister Mary Beatrice’s work was at St. Joseph’s Orphanage where she took care of pre-school children. She was described as a short, joyful Sister who had a lot of patience and was very devoted to the little children in her care.
Day 305: December 2, 2020
Jindrich, Sister Mary Florence b. 4/25/1913 d. 12/1/1993
Sister Mary Florence had a zest for life, loved music, had a lovely, trained, soprano voice and was able to praise God while leading the Sisters as a cantor for most of her life at Divine Office or Mass. She particularly loved to sing Gregorian chant, but out of chapel, was ready to sing any popular tune at the spur of the moment. Many of her favorite years of service were spent as a freshman advisor and English teacher (she loved Shakespeare) at Sacred Heart Academy but she also enjoyed teaching on the elementary level. She gave herself wholeheartedly to teaching and developed projects that kept her students highly motivated.
Day 306: December 3, 2020
Transfer of Our Sacred Heart Statue-2005
The Sacred Heart Statue (donated by Frank J. and Anna Stava in 1931) had its original place at the front of Sacred Heart Academy, which is now the front entrance of Benedale, the assisted-living portion of Villa St. Benedict. In this picture, due to the statues’ name, the Sacred Heart statue is being fittingly relocated to the entrance of Sacred Heart Monastery, the former gym. You see the Sisters along with employees and friends gathered for a prayer ritual of blessing of this sacred image in its new, identifying location.
Day 307: December 4, 2020
Kacmarek, Sister Mary Martha b. 12/4
Sister Mary Martha is the newest member of the Byzantine Benedictine Sisters in Warren, Ohio. She was born in Chicago and was baptized and chrismated (confirmed) at St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church in Chicago. Her pastor, Father Bereczky, invited the Sisters of St. Basil the Great from Uniontown, PA to open a parochial school at the parish. The Sisters also moderated the Sodality of Our Lady for young ladies at the parish, and it is there that Sr. Mary Martha had contact with these Sisters. After graduating from college, she entered the Sisters of St. Basil the Great. However, health issues prevented her from staying. By 1966, she regained her health, resumed her interest in pursuing religious life, and joined the new Byzantine Benedictine Community being formed in Warren. There, she continued teaching math on all levels, gave piano lessons, and visited the sick parishioners. Presently, she has moved to Villa Maria in Pennsylvania where she is enjoying her new life as a resident and is grateful for the care she is receiving from the Sisters of the Humility of Mary.
Day 308: December 5, 2020
Aerial View of Villa St. Benedict and Sacred Heart Monastery–2005
The Y shaped building with a dark green roof seen in the background is the Villa Center with 140 available units. In the far right with grey roofs, you see the Villa homes; these have 56 available units. Both the Villa Center and Villa homes comprise the new construction of Villa St. Benedict. In the long building with the light green roof is the assisted-living section called Benedale and has 51 available units and there are 14 available units in Memory Care, called Abbey Lane. The chapel extends at the center of Benedale to the right, which was renovated in 2005 as well, thanks to the help of generous donors. The Monastery stands apart in the forefront also with the light green roof, (the former gym), and the brown roof to the right, covers the garages for the Monastery.